Source: © PR Times, Inc. A Cool Summer Treat, These Parfait Cups Are Seafood Rice Bowls In Disguise 2019-07-02 Tue 2019-07-02 Tue If you live in a country like Japan where summers can get muggy and uncomfortable, it's only natural to seek out relief in the form of ice cold drinks, cool and refreshing chilled foods, and of course, iced desserts. When it comes to parfaits, you're well served in Japan with such standouts as Nakamura Tokichi's 13-layer matcha masterpiece, kawaii creations such as the Hello Kitty parfait, or any of the delightful creations available at parfait shop Roy to Silo which just opened up in Shinjuku. When a parfait isn't a parfait But what if you don't have a sweet tooth? At first glance (and maybe if seen from afar) the beautifully decorated creations waiting for you at Kome to Sakana Shuzō Maikeru 米と魚 酒造 米家ル in the Takadanobaba neighborhood of Tokyo may look like ice cream parfaits, but they are in fact a new way of serving kaisen-don 海鮮丼, a popular dish otherwise known in English as a seafood rice bowl. © PR Times, Inc. Not only does serving them up and decorating them in a parfait cup create an aesthetically pleasing look, it also follows the traditional Japanese wisdom of nōryō 納涼 (literally 'taking in coolness') in which Japanese people feel cool not only through direct means such as fanning themselves or wearing light summer linen clothing, but also psychological means such as enjoying ghost stories, listening to wind chimes or watching goldfish swimming in a fishbowl. Thus, the sight of fresh seafood (associated with water) and the parfait cup creates a double "cool factor" adding to the appeal of the dish. Speaking of visual effect, let's look at the various "seafood parfaits" available on the menu: Sea bream rice bowl with sea urchin sauce: 1,680 JPY (excl. tax) © PR Times, Inc. This rice bowl is a luxurious combination of sea bream shipped directly from the Toyosu Fish Market and a rich sauce made with sea urchin roe. Salmon roe and seaweed beads create an interesting texture and add a festive touch as well. Salmon sashimi with avocado sauce: 1,680 JPY (excl. tax) © PR Times, Inc. The melt-in-your mouth texture of salmon sashimi blends harmoniously with the avocado sauce accented with wasabi and mayonnaise. Drizzled with sweet soy sauce from Kyushu, the flavors intensify. A delight for your eyes and your taste buds... Tuna sashimi parfait: 2,480 JPY (excl. tax) © PR Times, Inc. A Namahonmaguro trio of red, medium fatty and fatty cuts join sea urchin and salmon roe in this opulent seafood bowl. Namahonmaguro 生本マグロ refers to tuna shipped fresh from the docks without ever once being frozen. 80% of all tuna on the market is frozen, leaving only 20% nama. Compared with frozen tuna, nama has a much more pronounced difference in taste for each part of the fish, so you'll be able to enjoy the three distinctive textures and tastes in this dish. Takata no Yume rice Kome to Sakana Shuzō Maikeru prides itself on the quality of its rice, the freshness of its seafood and the variety of its sake. Therefore, it's only natural that they are particular about the rice they use in these seafood rice bowl "parfaits." They exclusively use Takata no Yume たかたのゆめ rice from Rikuzen Takata city in Iwate Prefecture, known for its sweetness and pleasant texture. Takata no Yume rice is the perfect choice to highlight the flavor of namahonmaguro and sea urchin in this seafood rice bowl collection. © PR Times, Inc. Shop Information Name (JP): 米と魚 酒造 米家ル 高田馬場店 Name (EN): Kome to Sakana Shuzō Maikeru, Takadanobaba Address (JP): 〒169-0075東京都新宿区高田馬場2-18-11 稲門ビル 3F Address (EN): 3F Inemon Bldg., Takadanobaba, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-0075 Telephone: 03-6233-7881 Days / Hours: Weekdays: 17:00 to 23:30, Sat. & holidays: 12:00 to 24:00, Sun. 12:00 to 23:00 Seating: 99 Size: 1,800 sq. ft Average price: 4,000 JPY (dinner) Tabelog English page By - Ben K. Source:© PR Times, Inc. Tags: Maguro / namahonmaguro / Parfait / salmon roe / Sashimi / sea bream / sea urchin roe / Seafood / seafood rice bowl / Tuna / Uni grape Japan Food A Cool Summer Treat, These Parfait Cups Are Seafood Rice Bowls In Disguise Related Article Roy to Silo Is An All-Night Parfait Paradise Nestled In The Heart of Shinjuku Very Thin Sliced Pufferfish Sashimi Is A Once In A Life Time Luxury Luxury $50-A-Can “MAGURO-TORO BLACK LABEL” Tuna Restocked By Popular Demand 3D Optical Illusion Soy Sauce Dishes Make Your Sushi Dinner Even Prettier How Did This Sushi Restaurant CEO Help Destroy Somalian Pirates? How to Lure Customers during a Corona Outbreak? 567円 Tuna Buffet!